Flashing (error with exposure)

sonicoliver

Flashing (error with exposure)

Post by sonicoliver » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:51 am

I keep getting this strange flashing effect occuring... it could have something to do with the additional exposure options because I say "flashing" but what it looks like is happening is that every so often a frame will be over exposed.

I've uploaded an example of what's going on here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5koGI0BJ-0

Cheers!

xyster
Site Admin

Re: Flashing (error with exposure)

Post by xyster » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:02 am

That's very odd. I've never seen that before.

Does this happen with every subject you try to capture or only in this particular scene or similar (e.g. big sky shots)?

Do you lock the exposure before starting the session (the exposure reticle has a little white lock symbol in the corner)? If not, it's possible the phone's auto exposure meter occasionally decides to wander a bit before settling back to where it was. Auto exposure re-evaluation seems to be common with 'big sky' shots. If a photo is captured while the metering is wandering that would explain the flashes in the final video.

Cool clouds BTW!

Zer01

Post by Zer01 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:00 pm

This happens to me too on my iPhone 5. So far it has only happened with cloud time lapses near sunset. It happens whether the exposure is locked or unlocked. Thanks!

sonicoliver

Post by sonicoliver » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:14 pm

Yeah, it has mainly been big sky shots, except one indoor shot unfortunately as well...

Again, only seems to happen when the exposure is set above "auto"... I'll try again tonight with exposure locked and see how it goes.

sonicoliver

Post by sonicoliver » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:25 pm

No luck unfortunately, even with the lock, it still occasionally flashes.

Big sky, yes, but does it on both my iPad gen 3 and on my iPhone 4S.

The solution I suppose is to use the "auto" setting, but I like the blur effect I get when using the manual exposure options... shame.

xyster
Site Admin

Post by xyster » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:05 pm

I'll investigate this further to see what I can find. Thanks!

Zer01

Post by Zer01 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:36 am

I have noticed the flashing happens when I use express mode but my classic mode videos turn out fine. Use some smoothing and double shot and it will give you a good blur effect.

aharvey

Post by aharvey » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:25 pm

Greetings,

I'm afraid I'm having this same problem. It seems to be limited to express mode but happens with both indoor and outdoor scenes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. We're hoping to shoot a 'dashboard' video from Maine to Georgia next week!

Cheers,

Alan

xyster
Site Admin

Post by xyster » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:27 am

All,

I've finally managed to track down this issue and it will be fixed in the upcoming release, TimeLapse version 5.5.

Thank you for your patience!