Noob: Issues with RAW pictures and Galileo

Noob: Issues with RAW pictures and Galileo

Postby Achim74 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:01 am

Hi,
I purchased Timelapse and wanted to test out all features. I connected to Gallileo and wanted to shoot a timelapse with RAW pictures.

What does RAW actually mean on a Iphone? Does iOS really support that? Is there more information stored in the image than in a normal JPEG?

With my first timelapse I have the following problem.

I set the intervall to 1 second and captured 15 minutes. This should be 1800 pictures. However I have only 600 pictures. That means he shoots every 3rd pic. Why is that?

Also many pictures are kind of blurred. Is that because he shoots while Galileo is panning? Shouldn't it be Pan - Shoot - Pan and so on?

Can you please give advice? Thank you!

Achim
Achim74

Re: Noob: Issues with RAW pictures and Galileo

Postby xyster » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:11 am

Hi,

RAW mode avoids the usual lossy JPEG compression and save the images with the lossless TIFF format.

With regards to your capture settings and the results it might be more helpful to provide a screenshot of the settings you are using. With a setting of a 1 second interval between shots and 15 minutes total, you should get 15*60=900 shots which is neither what you got or what you expected.

TimeLapse will use stop & go with Galileo when it has enough time to perform the stop & go in time between shots. If you set the pan too aggressively (too big of an angle to move) for the time between shots, then it will fall back to using a continuous motion for the pan. What settings are you using for Galileo?
xyster
Site Admin

Postby Achim74 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:27 am

Thank you for your quick reply. Sorry I meant 30 minutes which will make 1800 pics.

Here are screens attached with my settings. The Galileo was set to pan 20 degrees per minute.
Attachments
settings.zip
My Settings
(243.54 KiB) Downloaded 1249 times
Achim74

Postby xyster » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:04 am

Your settings look about right. It is possible that in RAW mode it is unable to keep up with the rate you are requesting.

Try reducing the rate to 1 shot per 2 seconds. I suspect that may also resolve the Galileo problem.

It is possible I need to modify TimeLapse' selection constraints to simply not allow this combination of settings where the interval is simply too quick for the device to keep up.

What device are you running TimeLapse on?
xyster
Site Admin

Postby Achim74 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:21 am

I also thought it just might take too long to take a raw picture. I will test out the 2 seconds interval and keep you updated.

I am running Timelapse on a Iphone 5.

Thank you for your help. Have a great weekend.
Achim74

Postby Achim74 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:18 am

I just checked the timestamps of the exported photos. They are between 3 and 4 seconds. The rendered video is very shaky of course.

Is Smart Exposure always activated? I did not see a switch. Do I turn it off when I lock the exposure? Thanks for a hint.
Achim74

Postby xyster » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:31 am

Smart Exposure is turned off if you lock exposure when framing.

You can find the switch for it in by tapping the page curl in the corner when farming the shot.

The 3-4 second gaps imply you should try 4 second intervals to be on the safe side. The video's shakiness depends very much on what you are capturing.

You too have a great weekend!
xyster
Site Admin

Return to TimeLapse