iPad 4K option?

iPad 4K option?

Postby chuckkahn » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:42 am

Trying the iPad version of the app and I don't see the 4K video option and it makes a shutter sound. How do I get the 4K option and mute the shutter sound?

update: muted the sound with the side switch
chuckkahn

Re: iPad 4K option?

Postby xyster » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:59 am

Yes, like the iPhone, the camera shutter sound is mutable using the system mute setting.

With regards to iPad 4K. In general, prior to the iPad Air 2, iPad cameras maxed out at 5MP (vs. iPhone's 8MP) so the higher resolutions didn't really approach 4K. In practice, the iPads I tested with were incapable of handling video encoding of anything larger than 1080p. I have not tested with the iPad Air 2 and I don't know if/when I will be able to. I currently have no plans of acquiring one. If you have an iPad Air 2 and are willing to test potentially several iterations of TimeLapse test versions, perhaps we can work together to see if it works.
xyster
Site Admin

Postby chuckkahn » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:29 am

xyster wrote:With regards to iPad 4K. In general, prior to the iPad Air 2, iPad cameras maxed out at 5MP (vs. iPhone's 8MP) so the higher resolutions didn't really approach 4K. In practice, the iPads I tested with were incapable of handling video encoding of anything larger than 1080p. I have not tested with the iPad Air 2 and I don't know if/when I will be able to. I currently have no plans of acquiring one. If you have an iPad Air 2 and are willing to test potentially several iterations of TimeLapse test versions, perhaps we can work together to see if it works.

I have the iPad 4 which has 5MP camera and Dual-core A6X with quad-core graphics. A Quicktime movie of 2592 x 1936 resolution falls short of 4K, but it's still more impressive than 1080p, and having the app create the Quicktime saves me the trouble of exporting the stills and stitching them together with the QuickTime 7 app. I figured the Timelapse app was similarly stitching them together into a JPEG Quicktime, not re-encoding the JPEGs into another codec. Is that beyond the iPad 4's capabilities? I don't really need my Qucktimes dissolved together either, if that's the heavy-lifting part of the processing. I just delete those merged Quicktimes when I copy them to my computer, preferring the original creation and modified timestamps of the pre-merged files.

I was holding off upgrading to the 8MP iPad Air 2 until telephoto lens options started surfacing.
chuckkahn

Postby xyster » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:37 am

TimeLapse uses iOS's built in video encoding facilities. When the encoding size exceeds the H.264 encoder size limits, TimeLapse will fallback to specifying MJPEG. However, I don't have control over how iOS performs the encoding or the various resource limits (especially graphics resources) that are in force on a particular device. My experience has been that iPads generally could not reliably handle the encoding because of graphics resource limits. If you want a test version of TimeLapse with 4K enabled on iPads, I can provide you a test build.
xyster
Site Admin

Postby chuckkahn » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:03 am

xyster wrote:TimeLapse uses iOS's built in video encoding facilities. When the encoding size exceeds the H.264 encoder size limits, TimeLapse will fallback to specifying MJPEG. However, I don't have control over how iOS performs the encoding or the various resource limits (especially graphics resources) that are in force on a particular device. My experience has been that iPads generally could not reliably handle the encoding because of graphics resource limits. If you want a test version of TimeLapse with 4K enabled on iPads, I can provide you a test build.

I copy the Quicktimes from the Photo folder using iTunes and I prefer the Apple Photo - JPEG over H.264 -- I didn't realize it was a fallback. I'll take a test build for iPad, thanks!

chuckkahn

Return to TimeLapse