[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
xyster.net • View topic - Speed issues with 3GS/3.1

Speed issues with 3GS/3.1

Speed issues with 3GS/3.1

Postby refsvik » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:07 pm

Hi,

My fastest capture speed is 6 frames per minute even if my setting is 1fps.

3.1 on a 3GS in Airplane mode connected to power.

Kjell Are Refsvik
Norway
refsvik

Re: Speed issues with 3GS/3.1

Postby xyster » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Hello Kjell,

Capture speed is limited by various factors of the phone. The biggest factor is how fast the pictures can be saved to the Flash.

You can find more details about it and

Thanks.
xyster
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:01 am

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me. The fastest I am able to capture is one frame every 3.5 seconds with the newest version you just released, and I am thinking that this could be due to the autofocus delaying capture as well? Is there a way of locking focus to infinity to speed up capture? I would so much like to get to 1fps to get smooth timelapses as I drive in the car.

Best regards,

Kjell Are Refsvik
Norway

Postby xyster » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:14 am

Hi Kjell,

The slowest part of the process is saving the image to flash. You can try to reduce save time by selecting a smaller photo size.
xyster
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:44 am

I see. Seems strange that saving 400KB (the largest files) takes so much time, but I guess that is a challenge that Apple needs to address.

This is a small movie that was the result of a 45 minute drive the other day.
http://idisk.mac.com/refsvik-Public/misc/movie.mp4
(please forgive the poor quality due to a compressing the movie using Imagemagick convert (convert *.jpg movie.mp4).

Even if my setting was to capture small images every 1 second, the actual capture rate was one frame every 3,59 seconds.

In my experience, the time does not increase significantly when choosing to capture larger images and I am guessing this is due to the time spent compressing and reducing the smaller sized images.

Even so - I am not able to get the smooth movement I want (around 1fps) until there is a solution the capture/storage speed problem.

Do you see a solution to this on the horizon?

Sincerely,

Kjell Are Refsvik
Norway

Return to TimeLapse