Too many photos? (iPhone 3G)

Too many photos? (iPhone 3G)

Postby Justin K. » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:31 am

I'm using Timelapse on my old iphone 3G, because I hate leaving my phone somewhere undisturbed for hours on end. Last night, in order to try to capture a thunderstorm, I left it in the office window overnight, taking "medium" photos every 10 seconds. I came in this morning to find that instead of still running, it had quit, leaving me an "interrupted" message. It claimed to have taken 0 photos, though there are over 4200 photos in the album.

Now, I can't seem to get my PC to recognize my phone as a camera device! It will sync with iTunes, but Windows Explorer (windows 7, Intel Xeon Quad core, 12GB ram... ordinarily I would suspect the computer's performance, but I doubt it's a problem in this case) never recognizes it as a storage device, and I never get the pop-up to sync photos.

I noticed before, on shorter runs (~2400 photos) that it would only intermittently recognize the camera, and then only after having been connected for some time (I noticed it would suddenly appear as a camera in Explorer after maybe 15 minutes). As an experiment, I then ran a very short session, leaving me only 250 or so photos, and it appeared in Explorer very quickly. Does anyone know if it's possible to just have too many photos on an iPhone 3G? Has anyone else experienced this problem?

-Justin
Justin K.

Re: Too many photos? (iPhone 3G)

Postby xyster » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:34 am

Justin,

My experience has been that you need to be patient with the phone when there are that many photos in it. I've had to wait for quite a long time sometimes for the camera to be recognized. Let it sit for 15 minutes and see what happens.
xyster
Site Admin

Postby Justin K. » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:38 am

Unfortunately, I've tried that. I let it sit for about two hours, and it never appeared. I'm going to try letting it sit connected overnight tonight, but I'm not holding my breath!
Justin K.

Postby xyster » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:49 am

Do you have a mac available? If so, there is another program that might prove useful, it's called "Image Capture".
Otherwise, I don't really have an answer but I'll try to google for one.
xyster
Site Admin

Postby xyster » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:16 am

Also, have you tried restarting the phone?
xyster
Site Admin

Postby Justin K. » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:25 am

Ha! I should've tried restarting!

No, I didn't, but I found a windows utility called i-FunBox. It allowed me to copy off the photos by browsing the iphone's raw filesystem. If there's a more elegant solution, I haven't found it!

Thank you for your help though!
Justin K.

Return to TimeLapse