Music sharing ... illegal?

Music sharing ... illegal?

Postby johnFS » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:12 am

Hi there,

I am a TimeLapse user, and a developer. I am wondering how you are building the TimeLapse video and putting it together with music files from the users iTunes library? It is obvious that this can be done locally, however, aren't there licensing issues when sharing the video?

If not, I'd like a little insight into how you managed to package the music file with the video? I can play music locally on the iphone using MVMoviePlayer, but this doesn't seem to give me access to the actual song file. Thanks for the help!
johnFS

Re: Music sharing ... illegal?

Postby xyster » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:10 pm

iOS allows access to DRM-free tracks in the iPod library. It is up to the user not to violate copyright with the final video.

To access the tracks and use them to dub a video you need to use the AVFoundation APIs. Specifically, the AVAssetReader and AVAssetReaderAudioMixOutput classes.
xyster
Site Admin

Postby johnFS » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:41 am

Thanks a lot, xyster! That helped a lot.
johnFS

Postby johnFS » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:00 am

xyster, another related question:

I've managed to extract the music file using the classes you recommended. However, a strange thing is happening. The original song file is 7.2 MB, but after extracting from iTunes, it is over 50 MB. Were you facing this problem?

Any guidance would help ... again.

Thanks,
John
johnFS

Postby xyster » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:03 am

It could be many thing. However, one scenario that sounds particularly plausible is that you are writing out the data as an uncompressed PCM file.

BTW a good forum for these kinds of questions is http://www.iphonedevsdk.com/forum/
xyster
Site Admin

Return to TimeLapse