Clip assembly / editing

Clip assembly / editing

Postby mah » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:48 am

Frame Lab (and TimeLapse) is very good at creating a clip from frames. Do you have any plans for a clip editor which on an iPad / iPhone easily assemble clips into a time-lapse movie, especially addressing the issue of identifying audio beats and syncing clip transitions to them? Can do in Adobe Premiere, but looking for an iPad / iPhone product. Any suggestions? Thanks.

-- Michael
mah

Re: Clip assembly / editing

Postby xyster » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:10 am

Michael,

I'm not certain I fully understand your question. Correct me if this doesn't exactly answer your question. At the moment you can pull in a video clip that will be decomposed into its individual frames. However, there is no recognition or handling for audio. You will lose the audio. There is also no built in facility to 'speedup' the video by discarding frames in the final result.

Audio, film strip segments (to allow for editing at a segment level and easy multi frame cut/paste) and 'speedup' are known issues that did not make it into this release. The audio beat sync feature sounds interesting and I will consider it when get the other basics implemented but I wonder it would be better done in a full video editor (on a PC or iPad as it comes along). Thanks for the suggestion.
xyster
Site Admin

Re: Clip assembly / editing

Postby mah » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:57 pm

I understand that current Frame Lab doesn't fully edit clips like iMovie, for example. It is a different, and very useful tool for creating time-lapse clips. In order to create an interesting time lapse movie, though, it is desirable to combine clips with transitions and audio, and easily re-arrange and process clips. On the Mac, I'm used to using Time Lapse Assembler to create clips from frames, and then Adobe Premiere to re-arrange and process clips and add audio. An important feature, as I mentioned, is the ability to sync clip transitions to key audio beats, which I do by listening to the audio and interactively dropping markers which I later use to align clips. I was wondering whether you had any plans either to expand Frame Lab with similar video editing capabilities, or whether you might be working on a clip editor as a separate program to be a natural extension to Frame Lab, or whether there was some other iPad video editor you would recommend to complement Frame Lab for these purposes. Sounds like you might be considering some of these for the future. And I encourage you to do so. Thanks.

-- Michael
mah

Return to Frame Lab