Exposure & Focus Reticles Not Working (v 5.2, iPhone 4)

TimeLapse_Fan

Exposure & Focus Reticles Not Working (v 5.2, iPhone 4)

Post by TimeLapse_Fan » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:11 am

I've loved your TimeLapse app, from early versions, for a while (and have even bought it for other people), so I am gigantically disappointed to report my first problem ever - and a huge one.

Exposure & Focus reticles are not working.
Can separate them by pinching, etc., but they do not respond to their placements.
And they appear extremely cumbersome and difficult to use (unless a bug???).
It's actually difficult to explain problem because... there's not much to describe except they simply do not work.

It very much appears to be a bug-like problem.
It is so entirely unlike how smart and intuitive and sensible the app always was in the past.
That's why I'm wondering if there is some kind of bug disabling or gunking-up the proper performance???

Tried re-installing app.
Tried making sure all other camera related apps were shut down, in case of some conflict with another camera(???).
No change.

Any other reports of this problem?

iPhone 4 (not 4s)
iOS and TimeLapse up to date, as of morning of March 1, 2012.

xyster
Site Admin

Re: Exposure & Focus Reticles Not Working (v 5.2, iPhone 4)

Post by xyster » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:31 am

I'm sorry to hear you are encountering problems with the operation of TimeLapse. You are the first person to report a functionality problem with the reticles and I hope we can quickly figure this out for you.

Can you explain exactly what you mean by they "do not respond to their placements"? Do they not move? Do they not affect the focus and exposure? Do they not lock?

After you pinch them apart, you should be able to drag each one individually by placing your finger on it and dragging. You can single tap each one to lock it (a little lock will appear in the corner to denote that it is locked). When the reticle is locked it cannot be moved (it is locked!). To unlock the reticle, you must tap it again (the little lock icon will disappear) and you can then drag it again. Double tapping a reticle when it is unlocked will center it.

Which part of this process is not working for you?

TimeLapse_Fan

Post by TimeLapse_Fan » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:52 am

xyster Q: " Can you explain exactly what you mean by they "do not respond to their placements"? "

A: When I drag either of the reticles (or both, when combined) to a location on the screen where I want them to focus/adjust-exposure they do not re-adjust, basically nothing happens. If, for example, I have a back-lit scene with a window in the background and the subject in the foreground, sitting in a room (not lit brightly because of being inside)... I drag the exposure reticle to the subject and it does not respond (if, say, the camera has already exposed for the bright light coming through the window). HOWEVER - if I then lock the exposure reticle (by tapping once), it still does not adjust (obviously, it's locked, I know) - BUT then when I unlock it, THEN it suddenly will redo the exposure. Same appears to happen for the focus. So, whatever placement I use for the reticles (place where I drag reticle to) it does not respond (to the new placement/location on screen) and TimeLapse seems to disregard the reticle placements entirely. Except for the bit AFTER they have been locked and then unlocked, when the suddenly readjust to where they are placed. But even after that newly unlocked readjustment, TimeLapse then seems to go on to ignore where the reticles are located on screen - say if I move the camera around and find another physical location to take a picture - the images on the screen obviously change and move as/after I relocate... the reticles (unlocked, yes) either do not respond at all to whatever change is happening on screen, or if they do occasionally adjust seem to be looking at some other place on the screen NOT where the reticle is.

You're not hearing from anyone else, so perhaps my update copy somehow got glitched-up in the download or something??? Makes me think, then, that this has got to be some weird buggy thing just in my copy of the app??? And so I am wondering if I am just spinning my wheels trying to explain something, and you spinning yours to solve, that might not be solvable without reinstall anyway???

I reinstalled the app on my iPhone, but only reinstalled the app I already had in iTunes... am I able to delete my "original" copy in iTunes and re-download fresh from the iTunes store without having to pay again? I've never done that, hence me asking such a simple novice question. Pardon.

(also, please pardon my tardy re-reply, been a very busy week)

Timeshot

Post by Timeshot » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:43 pm

yeah, there's a whole seperate, better articulated, thread discussing this issue just a few post below yours.. basically, we all experience this issue after the update.

xyster
Site Admin

Post by xyster » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:23 pm

Timeshot wrote:yeah, there's a whole seperate, better articulated, thread discussing this issue just a few post below yours.. basically, we all experience this issue after the update.
Perhaps Timeshot is correct. TimeLapse_Fan, your description of the problem seemed different to me but perhaps the issue described in this thread is the same problem you are experiencing. If so, it also details a workaround. Let me know.

TimeLapse_Fan

Post by TimeLapse_Fan » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:06 am

To me, it does not appear to be the same problem.
I read that thread before posting mine.
That thread seems to be primarily about a locking/unlocking malfunction.

I am reporting an issue that is about the reticles not working / not responding to where they are placed on screen.
The focus reticle does not focus.
The iris reticle does not adjust exposure.
When either reticle is dragged (together or separately) to a new position on the screen, in an attempt to get TimeLapse to re-focus/re-expose on that spot, they do not respond - do not work.

Perhaps this is related to the issues in the thread you mentioned, in the underlying code or in some technical way - but to me as a user it appears a separate issue.

Is there a way you can offer us the previous version of TimeLapse until these issues are resolved?
The previous versions worked great.
As it stands now, I can't use TimeLapse at all - honestly - this problem makes it practically impossible to use.

Thanks for all your efforts and attention.

xyster
Site Admin

Post by xyster » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:58 am

Providing you a custom TimeLapse version with the old functionality is not a long term solution. The way ad hoc app distribution works, the apps eventually stop working after at most a year and when the next update happens your copy will get overwritten anyway. More importantly, it is very possible that after going through the hassle of a custom TimeLapse version, the core problem will still not be fixed because it is elsewhere.

I would love to take a close look at your phone to figure out the issue. In lieu of being able to do that I have a few tests that you can perform to rule out any possibility other than a bug in TimeLapse.

1. Does the reticle work in Apple's camera app? The reticle is an integrated focus and exposure reticle so it is a bit different but it should give a good starting indication of the general health of the mechanism on your device.
2. Download the free Filmic+ app and see if the reticles work there. They are more similar in operation to TimeLapse and very likely use the same mechanism that TimeLapse does.

Have you tried power cycling the phone?
Finally, is your device jailbroken? I have read of instances where jail breaking can sometimes interfere with the operation of camera apps (for reasons that I don't know) and I would like to rule that out.

Thank you for being so patient!

TimeLapse_Fan

Post by TimeLapse_Fan » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:14 am

IN RESPONSE TO YOUR SUGGESTIONS, THIS MORNING I :

1. Updated iTunes to 10.6

2. Updated iPhone iOS to 5.1

3. Downloaded FiLMiC+ Free app and installed on iPhone

4. Tested Apple's native Camera app for reticle issues - none found - works perfectly

5. Tested FiLMiC+ Free app for reticle issues - none found - works perfectly

6. Got excited by how cool it was to finally see how the reticle should be working and then immediately got totally bummed that TimeLapse isn't working any more.

7. Suddenly realized I should actually test TimeLapse again since I installed new iOS an rebooted iPhone, etc, and the other apps are working perfectly and... errrr... dangit ! TimeLapse reticles are still not working - same exact problem as described before - but now see stark difference between how they should work (FiLMiC+), and now realize I wasn't totally stupid and nuts because I couldn't figure out how to use TimeLapse.

8. Suddenly remembered that although I had the aforementioned realization that I WAS sane... um... that all I'm sane about is the TimeLapse reticle issue and that does not negate the fact I have plenty of nuts and crazy going on in other areas of my mind - HA!

OTHER THINGS YOU MENTIONED:
Power Cycled - YES, already did, but also again as part of new iOS update
Jail-broken - NO - regular iPhone 4 (not "s")

UNANSWERED QUESTION:
If I delete TimeLapse entirely from iTunes and my iPhone, can I re-download it fresh from the iTunes Store for free without paying again for a new app? Again, sorry for such a novice question, but I've never did this before.

Thanks again for your time and efforts!
Your latest ideas/tests were enlightening and appear to be a positive step towards resolution (eventually?).

xyster
Site Admin

Post by xyster » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:35 am

Yes, you can safely delete TimeLapse from everywhere, including iTunes, and then download it again. You will not be charged again and it is worth trying.

Assuming the above does not work. How comfortable are you with installing custom versions of TimeLapse that can hopefully help us narrow down and find the problem?

BTW You seem sane enough to me. ; )

TimeLapse_Fan

Post by TimeLapse_Fan » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:37 am

I tried deleting TimeLapse from iTunes and iPhone
and re-downloading fresh from iTunes Store, etc.

Same problems.

Am I comfortable installing a custom version of TimeLapse?
I am not knowledgable enough to fully understand what problems there might be (technically, or with privacy issues, etc.) regarding apps and the new technologies with which they are associated, and so...

with what I am actually uncomfortable,
is MY OWN ignorance...

not the presumably very good natured TimeLapse folks.

Are you testing TimeLapse on an actual real iPhone 4 (not "s")... and you are not seeing any reticle bugs or cumbersomeness? And, for real, no one else, at all, is reporting this issue?

xyster
Site Admin

Post by xyster » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:00 am

I regularly test TimeLapse with an iPhone 4. To the best of my knowledge you are the only one experiencing this problem, for real.

Installing custom TimeLapse apps will require a few steps from you:

1. Providing me the UDID of your iPhone.
2. Clicking a link I will provide that will install a modified version of TimeLapse on your phone.
3. Provide me with the information that the modified version of TimeLapse gives you.

Nothing bad will happen to your phone or your privacy. It's just clicking a link, running some tests and spending the time to do it.

If you wish to continue, send me a private message and we'll get started.

TimeLapse_Fan

Post by TimeLapse_Fan » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:41 am

I downloaded the free version of TimeLapse and installed it on my iPhone, side by side with my existing paid TimeLapse app. Both started-up and operated independently.

Both had the exact same reticle problems.

Thought that experiment might add a clue to the investigation???

Due to the fact that TimeLapse is malfunctioning, since this new reticle design version was released, I have no way to know what it looks like when the reticles are operating properly - or how it was intended to operate and be used - and so was having trouble determining if you simply designed your reticle interface in some alternate way, and I just couldn't figure it out or something.

Perhaps this is another good reason to have an instruction/demo video of how to use TimeLapse, and how it is supposed to work.
I add my voice to others who have offered the same recommendation.

Your suggestion to check-out FiLMic+ (free) as a similar operating model is immensely helpful, though obviously there must be some differences (the way they lock their focus/exposure being an obvious one). IF TimeLapse's reticles are supposed to operate with the same quick adjustment time, and accuracy as FiLMic+, then there is definitely a critical malfunction going on with TimeLapse. FiLMic+ operates smooth and quickly, very intuitively, and makes sense.

However, I did notice that it's possible to trick and confuse the FiLMic+ reticles. If you click quickly on the lock/unlock exposure/focus buttons, on and off, it's possible to confuse the app. When that happens, it is similar (though not identical) to what is happening in TimeLapse. However, in TimeLapse, it doesn't matter how slow or careful you are dragging or tapping the reticles. They just simply don't work, right from launch.

Again, due to my own unfamiliarity with (ignorance of) the tech workings of custom apps and how that intersects with privacy issues, I don't feel comfortable right now giving access and codes to those I don't know personally. MY LOSS, certainly. No offense meant, I hope you see - again, just that I'm not well enough informed on these matters - and feel I must err on the side of caution (and dullard partypooperness).

Thank you very sincerely for the offer and all your efforts!

TimeLapse_Fan

Post by TimeLapse_Fan » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:53 am

Possible Alternate Temporary Solution (?):

Put the previous version of TimeLapse on iTunes, for general public download...
list it as TimeLapse Legacy Version ??? or something akin to that???

When you come out with the new version that fixes some of the other bugs mentioned elsewhere, perhaps it will fix the reticle issue I'm having too ? (there must be many others with the same problem - they're just not reporting it)

I know I already presented a similar idea from which you understandable veered away.
But can't hurt to ask, eh?
Thanks again!

xyster
Site Admin

Post by xyster » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:39 am

I understand your predicament. I will keep prodding at the problem but it is more difficult when everything seems to work for me...

It is unrealistic to release another TimeLapse app for a variety of reasons running from Apple having a good reason to reject it based on it being an almost exact duplicate of the existing app and that the correct way to address such an issue is to investigate the problem and fix it. It would also cause confusion for other users.
However, I did notice that it's possible to trick and confuse the FiLMic+ reticles. If you click quickly on the lock/unlock exposure/focus buttons, on and off, it's possible to confuse the app. When that happens, it is similar (though not identical) to what is happening in TimeLapse.
This is the problem reported in the other thread and that I'm fairly certain is an underlying Apple bug.

Once again, I appreciate your patience and understanding while I sort out this problem and find a fix.

Eric

Post by Eric » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:02 am

Hello!

I'm sorry to report that I too have problems with the exposure, to the point that it's not possible to use the application in a "professional" setting.

Like in the other thread, the exposure lock is malfunctioning. When we hit start the exposure opens up a few stops, regardless if we locked it before start.

So, often it's not possible to use the app, unless exposure accuracy is not needed..

Tried the work-around that you mentioned, but it doesn't work..

Hoping for a fix, this is a great app otherwise!

Thank you,

Eric.