"use smart exposure"

kjimac

"use smart exposure"

Post by kjimac » Sat May 18, 2013 12:44 pm

What does this toggle do? I assume this puts the camera into the equivalent of Aperature Priority or Shutter Priority mode. If so, which is it? If not, what does it do?

xyster
Site Admin

Re: "use smart exposure"

Post by xyster » Mon May 20, 2013 12:31 am

Smart Exposure ensures that there are no big brightness jumps between frames - a common problem with time lapse photography, especially on iPhones.
Smart Exposure lets you keep automatic exposure so you can capture varied lighting while greatly reducing the risk of ending up with a time lapse with undesired brightness variation and flickering.
If you want to see its effect take a time lapse of a scene with a high lighting change throughout the session (like a sunset) with and without Smart Exposure enabled.

kjimac

Post by kjimac » Mon May 20, 2013 10:13 am

Great, thanks. What's the methodology? Simulated aperture adjustment or a simulated shutter speed adjustment?

xyster
Site Admin

Post by xyster » Wed May 22, 2013 12:35 am

I'm not sure what you mean by either of those. Essentially it looks at the overall luminosity of each frame and if the variance is too high from previous frames it reduces the luminosity variance.

kjimac

Post by kjimac » Fri May 24, 2013 11:05 am

A "real" DSLR has Av and Tv modes, which correspond to Aperture Priority and Shutter Speed Priority modes. Essentially, what they do is allow you to set one and let the camera do the intelligence to set the other.

So, I was curious how you're achieving the "smart exposure" -- by locking the Aperture and letting the shutter speed fluctuate, or locking the Shutter Speed and letting the aperture fluctuate? Based on your description, I assume it's fixed aperture.