Galileo

KBI

Galileo

Post by KBI » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:43 am

I just tried the Galileo with the timelapse app and there are quite a few things that could be improved:
1. Add the use of Galileo on the 3GS version.
2. Have a way to reset the phone back to 0 degrees. Use the phone's accelerometer to tell you where that is (the level app would be a good place to start).
3. The test feature is nice, but should stop after a designated time. The user could select how long they want the test to last (5-10 sec or longer for a slow pan). That way if the settings are too high and your phone is whipping around all directions, it will turn off!
4. There should be some pre-set pan/tilts and user saved pan/tilts for quick set up.

xyster
Site Admin

Re: Galileo

Post by xyster » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:20 am

Thanks for the suggestions.

1. iPhone 3GS is supported. It worked the last time I checked. I'll check again.
2. What do you consider "0 degrees"?
3, 4. Noted.

I'd be happy to see the results of your Galileo TimeLapse tests.

xyster
Site Admin

Post by xyster » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:57 am

I just checked TimeLapse and Galileo with iPhone 3GS and it works for me. Can you describe what does not work for you?

KBI

Post by KBI » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:09 pm

First, thank you for your response, it is appreciated!
I just tried my 3gs again and now it works. I believe it wasn't seated all the way in so the extra icon didn't show up the first time, so my mistake.

For the 0 degrees suggestion, my first way of thinking was to get the phone perfectly vertical when you have the unit in portrait mode (on it's side) so that at the end of the session the phone buttons are accessible without moving the phone around. But maybe the better way would be having an option to say you want the phone to end up in the position it started in. If someone sets up a shot and pushes the button to start, it probably is in the best position for that shot and to access the button to start. Then when it ends they could potentially change a few options and run it again.

KBI

Post by KBI » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:42 pm

Also, this may help some others, I wanted to update my TimeLapse program to the non-free version so I bought Timelapse Pro. WRONG! It looks like the same program with a similar icon, but it is not the same:-(

KBI

Post by KBI » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:22 pm

A couple more software suggestions:
Option to use flash
Option to only be within a certain range on panning/tilting. For example if you were taking a panorama and only wanted 25 degrees, wherever you start from would be 0 and it would only go to 25 degrees from there.

xyster
Site Admin

Post by xyster » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:01 pm

On those devices that have a flash, there is a flash mode button in the framing screen. It toggles between auto , on and off.
Pan/tilt can be defined per session. Tap the unit button (degrees per second) to select a different set of units.

I'm sorry to hear you bought the wrong app! You can likely get a refund from Apple if you simply explain what happened. The correct link for TimeLapse is https://itun.es/us/wXA8r.i

KBI

Post by KBI » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:05 pm

RE: Pan/tilt can be defined per session. Tap the unit button (degrees per second) to select a different set of units.
I've used the feature, but I was suggesting that there be a way to limit the rotation. For example, if I wanted it to take 3 sweeps back and forth over the next hour of an area of 25 degrees, there should be a way to do that.

I also think having some preset options to pick from would be useful. If I wanted a sin (wave) pattern to be used in the recording, it would be great to be able to choose it and change a few parameters.

wizbowes

Post by wizbowes » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:33 am

Hi,

Using the free version. I can't get it to work with my Galileo. The pan and tilt test works fine with smooth movement that seems to match the settings - however that's it. When I start a timelapse it either doesn't move, or moves a large distance once after about 3 photos have been taken and then doesn't move again.

Any clues?

Bottom of the screen says FW: 65, HW Version: 1 if that helps....

Edit: iphone 4s BTW

tomellery

Post by tomellery » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:57 am

Hi,

My Galileo just arrived this morning and I can't even get it to work at all, I have the Timelapse app and can set the tilt and pan setting, but when I try to test it, nothing happens at all.

Any help would be great as currently it is a nice matt black paper weight.

Thanks,

Tom

xyster
Site Admin

Post by xyster » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:02 am

wizbowes wrote:Hi,

Using the free version. I can't get it to work with my Galileo. The pan and tilt test works fine with smooth movement that seems to match the settings - however that's it. When I start a timelapse it either doesn't move, or moves a large distance once after about 3 photos have been taken and then doesn't move again.

Any clues?

Bottom of the screen says FW: 65, HW Version: 1 if that helps....

Edit: iphone 4s BTW

What are the values you are setting?

xyster
Site Admin

Post by xyster » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:04 am

tomellery wrote:Hi,

My Galileo just arrived this morning and I can't even get it to work at all, I have the Timelapse app and can set the tilt and pan setting, but when I try to test it, nothing happens at all.

Any help would be great as currently it is a nice matt black paper weight.

Thanks,

Tom
Disconnect the phone from Galileo, kill TimeLapse (double click home button to bring up task manager and kill TimeLapse there). Reseat and try again.

Have you tried using it with any of the other Galileo compatible apps?

xyster
Site Admin

Post by xyster » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:06 am

In addition, make sure no other Galileo compatible apps (like the Motrr app) are running in parallel.

wizbowes

Post by wizbowes » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:08 pm

So I downloaded the full version - but it is still a little flakey.

Settings:

- photo every 10 seconds
- set for 2 minutes
- Pan rotation set at 180 degrees per minute, tilt set to 0.
- No other Motrr apps running

Hit start. Screen goes black, takes a single picture, app crashes.
Restart the app - restarts but goes back into the same mode with the screen dark, then crashes.
Kill the app. Start it again - same thing.
After 2 minutes it will restart again and drop me into the menu - but same thing happens when I start the timelapse.

I've done a hard reboot and things started working on the settings above. Changed to take picture every 4 seconds - and now it's static and not moving at all. However it is taking pictures but no movement. Change back to 10 seconds interval - and still no motion.

Kill the app, start again, and suddenly motion is working again.

xyster
Site Admin

Post by xyster » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:42 am

Does TimeLapse crash at all when the Galileo is not involved?

If not, I suggest you contact motrr about your unit.