Onion Skin to preview last image?

MrG

Onion Skin to preview last image?

Post by MrG » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:38 pm

I am planning on taking a long duration time-lapse spanning several months. This is monitoring the progress of a construction project. It may only be several shots an hour. Obviously, I cannot leave my iPhone unattended for that long, not to mention I actually need my phone!

So I will need to be able to set the camera back up in the same position for each shot. In other time lapse applications and cameras, there is a provision for this and it is referred to as onion skinning. What that entails is I can set up the camera and recall/reload the last picture in the series. It is displayed at about 50% opacity and overlaid on the live image display. This way you can fine tune the camera position to line up exactly with the last shot.

Onion skinning allows you to come back, set up your shot int he the exact spot, and continue a time lapse sequence indefinitely, as is the situation with my construction project.

I would like to request the developer consider adding this functionality to a future release. If you do so, I would suggest you allow the user to control the opacity, perhaps through a dial or slider in the settings.

Thanks

xyster
Site Admin

Re: Onion Skin to preview last image?

Post by xyster » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:47 pm

Thanks for the feature request. I will look into it.

Buzz Mega

Re: Onion Skin to preview last image?

Post by Buzz Mega » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:03 am

Here's an alternate approach. The goal is not to re-register -manually- for every shot; the goal is to obtain perfect registration each time, no matter what.

You can get an iPhone holder that locks to a tripod screw and clamp a bracket at your shooting spot. With this sort of rig tightened down, you can clip-in the iPhone, shoot, unclip and have your phone. But you need a holder that absolutely, positively won't wander.

The individual camera holders from Tiffen's Steadicam Smoothee are threaded with a tripod socket. They're about $25 US. The clip is made for the individual model of iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS or iPod Touch. Repositioning should be absolute, as long as you don't wrench the holder askew as you remount the iPhone.