Videos are "interrupted"...

phallstrom

Videos are "interrupted"...

Post by phallstrom » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:01 pm

Hi - Just got the software and been playing around with it. Three times now when I've gone to check on it there is the dialog that says something about being interrupted and some or all of the photos might not be there. I'm running it on an ipod touch 4 (bought feb 2011). Not plugged in. Auto lock is enabled -- but with my most recent video it kept going well after auto lock would have kicked in. I'd guess that out of a 4 hour time lapse it quit about 3 hours into it. Battery maybe got down to 30% (I didn't check that closely).

Set to not do any processing, medium video at 30 fps, don't save images, one shot every 5 seconds.

What can I do to help trouble shoot this?

xyster
Site Admin

Re: Videos are "interrupted"...

Post by xyster » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:26 pm

Interruptions will occur for anything like a phone call or SMS and possibly even for apps that pretend to be phone apps, like Skype or FaceTime for example. Because you have an iPod real phone calls won't occur but FaceTime and its equivalents could.
Are any of these types of apps running? Did you have any missed "calls" on them?
You could put the iPod in Airplane mode to be sure the interruption is not being caused by something like that.

phallstrom

Post by phallstrom » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:01 am

Don't have Skype. FaceTime is installed, but not enabled and never used. Would it also happen if the wifi signal was dropped? It occurs to me now that I was outside both times and may have been right at the limit of our house wifi... ?

The other thing I just checked is that there's only about 2GB of free space. Both sessions were long... I have it set to discard photos, but perhaps it stores them all up, then does the movie, then removes them and I'm simply running out of room? Here's the stats on the most recent session:

1 shot every 3 seconds
stop after 5 hours
Photos 2599
Started 1:34pm
Last on 3:44pm
Next on 3:44pm
Ended On 6:34pm
No preprocessing
discard photos
video, medium @ 30fps

The resulting video was 112mb...

Thoughts?

xyster
Site Admin

Post by xyster » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:52 pm

Videos are created directly so if the end size of your video is smaller than your available space, you are ok.
Wifi drops should not affect the capture. However, like I said, if you want to be sure, put the iPod in Airplane mode to turn all this off.
I do not, at present, have an iPod touch available for testing so I'm not in an ideal situation to try to get the issue to occur for. While I obtain such an iPod here are a couple other items you can try.

Apple recently published the latest TimeLapse release, version 4.1.3, which fixes a video encoding issue with iPhone 3GS. It is possible this issue was also affecting iPod touches and that the fix will also fix your problem. Make sure you update TimeLapse to 4.1.3.

Try restarting your iPod. There has been at least one case where a user needed to restart his device to ensure TimeLapse could run consistently.

phallstrom

Post by phallstrom » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:59 am

Updated the ipod software last night and picked up the latest version of TimeLapse. Just did another trial... every 2 seconds for 5 hours. Two ipod touches side by side. One made it 3.5 hours. The other one is still going. Definitely not a storage issue as it took over 6000 photos. I'd guess it's a battery thing. Can't figure out how to display the actual percentage of the battery, but it's well below 1/4 "full".

I made no other changes regarding wifi/airport-mode/etc. Wanted to try new software only first...

I'll do another test tomorrow with it plugged in and see if it runs forever...

Thanks for the quick feedback!