Cannot shoot in Portrait mode

Michael

Cannot shoot in Portrait mode

Post by Michael » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:10 am

I have an iPhone4S and I cannot shoot a time lapse video in Portrait mode. The UP arrow points to the right of the picture (and on the new version, just downloaded it flashes)

Michael

Re: Cannot shoot in Portrait mode

Post by Michael » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:18 am

I should c larify that a little. I can shoot a video in portrait, but wen viewed, it is turned 90 degrees on it's side.

xyster
Site Admin

Post by xyster » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:32 am

The up indicator indicates where up will be in the output video and/or photos. It flashes when the device is oriented in a way that does not obviously correspond to the video's/photo's up direction as a reminder to the user that "up may not be where you think it is".

You can tap the up indicator to lock it. Tap it again to unlock it.

When recording video, orientation is limited to landscape as that is the typical and expected format used for video (for example, YouTube does not handle portrait videos well at all). I've found that when shooting video, landscape is typically the mentally assumed format regardless of what the app might indicate to the user and when a resulting video is discovered to be in portrait it leads to confusion and frustration with the ungainly result.

If you must record portrait, you can disable video recording and shoot only still photos in Classic mode. This way you can orient the output any way you like.

Michael

Post by Michael » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:19 am

Thanks for the clarification. I think I understand. I guess I can just rotate the video once I upload it to my computer.