Time Lapse

Bob Findlay

Time Lapse

Post by Bob Findlay » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:32 am

I have been shooting a lot of time lapse elements recently for a behind the scenes of a TV series I am working on and am hoping you can help me with my issues. 1) videos shot with the front facing camera (toward the touchscreen) end up on my computer as 4 X 3 aspect ratio while the rear facing camera ( away from the touchscreen ) shoots 16 x 9 aspect ratio. which is the better camera?

The rear facing camera creates a pulsing image as the camera continuously refocuses while shooting especially but not only in low light. is there a way to lock focus.

Cheers
Bob

xyster
Site Admin

Re: Time Lapse

Post by xyster » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:26 am

Yes, I can indeed help.

1. The rear facing cameras (16:9) on iPhone 4, iPad 2, latest iPod (full 720p for video) and iPhone 4S (full 1080p for video) produce much better results than the front facing cameras which are limited to 640x480.

2. Yes, focus can be fixed when framing the shot by tapping the location on the screen that you want in focus. When tapped, a reticle will pulsate to show you where it is focusing and then focus is locked. Double tap the screen to return to automatic focusing. This works just like the iPhone's camera app.
Focusing applies only to cameras that actually have a focusing mechanism. The front facing cameras are fixed focus so nothing will happen if you tap when using them.

I hope this helps.

Good luck with the videos and it would be great if you could share them here in the future.