Orientation issues

Khanson52

Orientation issues

Post by Khanson52 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:44 am

I'm having issues with my timelapse ap.

I shoot with the iPhone in a horizontal position and no matter what I seem to do, the playback has the wrong orientation.

xyster
Site Admin

Re: Orientation issues

Post by xyster » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:35 am

Does the up indicator have a little lock drawn in it when you start the session? Can you provide a couple screenshots of what you are taking and what you see in the end?

steve

Post by steve » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:12 am

I'm having the same issue. My tripod adapter only works if iPhone is mounted with the volume buttons facing up in landscape mode (or left if looking in portrait).
The timelapse app always defaults to 'up' pointing to the 'right' (if it were portrait).

I can flip the display so that 'up' points in the right direction and lock it correctly but the movie generated by the app is always 'upside down' (i.e. in the default position before I rotated the phone').

What is also strange is that I only use the movie as a reference and store the images separately for iTunes sharing but when I open the images in 'Preview' on the Mac, they are orientated correctly BUT when I open them as an image sequence in quicktime player pro 7 to make a movie, quicktime assembles them upside down again!

I'm running iOS 5.0.1 on an iPhone 4s. If needed I can supply screenshots.

Thanks.

xyster
Site Admin

Post by xyster » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:20 am

Thanks for contacting me about this.

I am not seeing any orientation issues with the video on the device or on a mac desktop. Can you provide the settings you are using for encoding the video? Also, how are you importing the video from the device, are you using iPhoto or something else?

I do see the orientation issue with the photos in QuickTime Pro 7. For some reason Quicktime is not picking up the orientation tags present in the photos to orient them correctly. I don't know why this is the case, I'm guessing the photos being saved by TimeLapse are not exactly as Quicktime expects and it gets confused unlike 'Preview' and other programs which seem to have no problem. I will try to see if I can locate the exact reason.

Fortunately, it is very straightforward to remedy this in QuickTime Pro 7. Once the sequence is loaded, bring up the movie properties (Window->Show Movie Properties), select 'Video Track', select the 'Visual Settings' tab and note that Flip/Rotate buttons to instantly reorient the movie correctly.

I hope this helps.

steve

Post by steve » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:11 am

Thanks for the quick reply!

This morning I was able to replicate the problem but on the off chance I deleted the app and re-installed from the app store and hey presto, it worked!

So now the movies made are the right way up on the phone, and so I assume that Quicktime will assemble the images correctly too (although I haven't tried it yet..)

By the way.. one of the first timelapses I've shot with the app is here.. http://vimeo.com/35058501

It works really great, keep up the good work!

Thanks

xyster
Site Admin

Post by xyster » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:21 am

Well done! I'm looking forward to more videos.