on-screen buttons on the capture screen?

Davis Fields

on-screen buttons on the capture screen?

Post by Davis Fields » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:03 pm

I see four in a row...
- an "eye" one
- a lock with a "o" on it
- a lock with the letters "WB" on it
- a lightning bolt

Where can I read about what these are? I think the lightning bolt turns the flash on and off... the "WB" one has something to do with "white balance"... the others, I don't know. Is there a tutorial or a manual somewhere?

xyster
Site Admin

Re: on-screen buttons on the capture screen?

Post by xyster » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:19 pm

The buttons are:

Eye - select an onion skin image (a semi transparent image to help align the current session with a previous session)
Lock with o - exposure lock toggle. Use it to lock or unlock exposure for the duration of the session. Locking exposure is useful for avoiding sudden exposure changes in the final video that look like flicker.
Lock with WB - white balance lock toggle. Use it to lock or unlock white balance for the duration of the session. Locking white balance also helps creating a high quality video by avoiding sudden tonal changes.
Lightning bolt - toggles flash mode between auto, on and off.

In addition, when you tap on the screen (anywhere on the preview) you can lock the focus to that point. Double tap to return focusing to automatic. Locking focus ensures the final video doesn't have sudden focus changes that look like jitter. This requires a focusing camera. Focus only exists in back facing cameras (except iPhone 3G).

The icons are not ideal. The next version of TimeLapse will have improved visuals.

If you have any more questions, please ask.

Davis Fields

Post by Davis Fields » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:34 pm

Thank you very much for the fast and informative response!

007_checker

Post by 007_checker » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:01 pm

How can I manually set the exposure (different from locking it).
I once wanted to capture a sunrise and the scene started with normal exposure but ended in overexposed (white) images. My plan is to lower the exposure at the beginning to avoid this.
Thank you.

xyster
Site Admin

Post by xyster » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:42 pm

Apple does not provide a mechanism to manually set the exposure.

However, I just submitted for review a new version of TimeLapse, version 5.2, that provides better control of focus and exposure of the session.
The new version has two reticles on screen. One for controlling focus point and lock and a second for controlling exposure point and lock. Manipulating them is a matter of pinching, dragging, tapping and double tapping.
The exposure lock button is replaced with the exposure reticle lock and the remaining buttons are more self explanatory.

For your purposes, the new controls could let you to set the exposure point to a bright spot in the scene and to lock it there.

In a future release of TimeLapse I hope to introduce a feature that will improve the quality of non exposure locked sessions.

007_checker

Post by 007_checker » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:52 pm

Great to hear this! Thank you!